Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Martin Bell, RIP

I just read that Martin Bell died in January.

From the St. Ignace News:

Martin Bell, 71, of St. Ignace, died Sunday, January 18, 2009, at Northern Michigan Regional Hospital in Petoskey. He contracted aspiration pneumonia while recovering from surgery.

Mr. Bell lived a remarkable life; he inspired and influenced thousands of people across the country and across the world and was a nationally known author, educator, lecturer, preacher, and musician. He was also an ordained Episcopal priest.

Of his seven books, the best known is "The Way of the Wolf: The Gospel in New Images," a collection of stories, poems, parables, and songs. The book has remained in print ever since its publication in 1970.

Over the years "Barrington Bunny," the lead story in "The Way of the Wolf," has become a Christmas classic. It is a story written for adults, but one that has touched the hearts of readers young and old. For many families and many congregations, reading "Barrington Bunny" is a treasured Christmas tradition.

You can the rest of the obituary here.

----

I was one of those whom Rev. Bell influenced through his writings. Having read The Way of the Wolf as a teenager, I was struck by his new images of the Gospel. Barrington Bunny remains one of my favorite stories. I also enjoyed his book of psalms and many other stories. His writings have lit my own imagination to see God at work in the world about us in many different ways! He will be missed. (He was also one time chaplain at the Canterbury House at the University of Michigan.)

Father of all, we pray to you for Martin, and for all those whom we love but see no longer. Grant to them eternal rest. Let light perpetual shine upon them. May his soul and the souls of all the departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

1 comment:

Maddchad said...

Martin was a personal friend... I miss him so much and feel for those who feel the same. There are so many times in raiding my family I remember him saying "If you ever need to talk I am here..." Well, unfortunately he isn't but I try to listen anyway...