Sunday, June 21, 2015

For Whom the Bell Tolls


At 10 AM on Sunday June 21, St. Peter's tolled its bell (along with others through the nation) to remember the victims of the #Charlestonshooting at Emmanuel AME Church.  As I tolled the bell, I thought of that verse from John Donne...

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
It tolls for thee.
Indeed, it tolls for you and me and all of America.


With Charleston Shooting, a Time to Stop Teaching Children About the ‘History’ of Racial Violence

No comments: