Friday, September 20, 2019

Sunday's Parable & an old Fable

An old fable of a trickster and thief...

A man once caught stealing was ordered by the king to be hanged.  On the way to the gallows, he said to the governor that he knew a wonderful secret and it would be a pity to allow it to die with him and he would like to disclose it to the king.  He would put a seed of a pomegranate in the ground and through the secret taught to him by his father, he would make it grow and bear fruit overnight.  The thief was brought before the king and on the morrow the king, accompanied by the high officers of state, came to the place where the thief was waiting for them.  There the thief dug a hole and said, "This seed must only be put in the ground by a man who has never stolen or taken anything which did not belong to him.  I being a thief cannot do it."

So he turned to the Vizier who, frightened, said that in his younger days he had retained something which did not belong to him.  The treasurer said that dealing with such large sums, he might have entered too much or too little, and even the king owned that he had kept a necklace of his father's.  The thief then said, "You are all mighty and powerful and want nothing and yet you cannot plant the seed, whilst I who have stolen a little because I was starving am to be hanged."

The king, pleased with the ruse of the thief, pardoned him.

(This story is from: Moses Gaster, The Exempla of the Rabbis (London: Asia Publishing, 1924).

I think this has much in common with Jesus' Parable of the Unjust Steward:

Jesus also said to the disciples, “A certain rich man heard that his household manager was wasting his estate. He called the manager in and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give me a report of your administration because you can no longer serve as my manager.’

“The household manager said to himself, What will I do now that my master is firing me as his manager? I’m not strong enough to dig and too proud to beg. I know what I’ll do so that, when I am removed from my management position, people will welcome me into their houses.

“One by one, the manager sent for each person who owed his master money. He said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’ He said, ‘Nine hundred gallons of olive oil.’ The manager said to him, ‘Take your contract, sit down quickly, and write four hundred fifty gallons.’ Then the manager said to another, ‘How much do you owe?’ He said, ‘One thousand bushels of wheat.’ He said, ‘Take your contract and write eight hundred.’

“The master commended the dishonest manager because he acted cleverly. People who belong to this world are more clever in dealing with their peers than are people who belong to the light. I tell you, use worldly wealth to make friends for yourselves so that when it’s gone, you will be welcomed into the eternal homes.


From Luke 16.

No comments: