Sunday, August 4, 2019

Summer of Prayer VI


Anxious and Fearful
Lord Jesus, we come to you and give you thanks for your love and care for us at all times – times of joy and times of sadness. We ask for your peace and guidance to be with us during this time when we are fearful and anxious. We know you know our needs before we ask and you know what is best for us, so we ask for your gift of peace and understanding. Our prayer is offered in the name of your beloved son, Jesus. Amen.

(UTO Book of Prayers – Vicki Sweet, South Dakota)

Affirmation and Invitation
What is an Affirmation? Webster’s tells us it’s a positive assertion or declaration. I think of it as “breathing life” into an intention. And for me, Invitation means someone wants me to attend an event, be a team member or join in something that holds the promise of a joyful outcome, (like coming to the Lord’s table!) However, it may also involve a lot of work! That’s okay, the Invitation is what’s important. It feels good to be valued.

ECCT is into a two-year Season of Racial Healing, Justice, & Reconciliation. We are an inviting church; we post signs that say “All are Welcome.” Why do we need to Affirm and Invite? It is God’s church after all. Yet, we are learning new things this Season: the Episcopal Church has a history to overcome. Here’s a story: When I talk about my faith to some People of Color, I get this question: “Isn’t the Episcopal church a White church?” Or, when I meet White people, I am asked, “Are you Baptist?” This has happened quite a few times and my answers are always “no” and “no.” I then explain my faith journey.

So to me, in these divided times in America and around the world, where the cloud of separation hangs over God’s creation, making affirmative efforts is a powerful thing to do. I believe in Affirming God’s people, all colors, languages and cultures are welcome in the Episcopal Church and can help to overcome parts of our history and break down the stereotype of what is a White church or a Black church.

Another story: Years ago, I worked in a racial justice ministry in New Jersey, where I then lived. Our small, diverse group held church-sponsored anti-racism training. Soon, we figured out that it was experiences I welcomed into my life. Thought was given to saying “yes” rather than “no” and actually seeking out difference; then, I accepted God’s invitation and followed the path God laid for me. Like the time I took a belly-dancing class and ended up going to the instructor’s Bahá’í wedding reception! ~ Carol M. Taylor, Trinity Church, Lime Rock

No comments: