Thursday, March 31, 2011

The Big Questions

Do we dare ask the big questions of our faith? Do we avoid them? Do they trouble us?

I think of these quotes from 101 Reasons to be an Episcopalian:
"Asking questions about our faith is expected. In the Episcopal Church, God doesn't get upset if I wonder why some things are as they are. And God doesn't get upset if I suggest that some things should not continue as they are."

"I love the fact that I can have stimulating conversation and yet disagree with the priest, or even the Bishop, and not get kicked because it is all right to use your mind and not be a rubber stamp for anyone. Christ died to save us from our sins, not our minds."

"We don't have all the answers, and we welcome others who love the questions."
I hope that is true of me and St. Peter's, that we are able to sit with those questions and be genuine, even if we don't have all the answers.

Which reminds me of another quote I saw once, "Jesus the question to your answers."

With that in my, read this article: Christians vs. the Big Questions

Here's an excerpt:
When my friend voiced his opinion that Christian faith was not an entrance requirement to heaven, his college Bible study gasped at his nerve, and I’m sure you could almost hear the silent thought: How could he question the Word of God?

“You’re telling me that you have to believe in Jesus to go to heaven,” my friend said. “Does that mean when innocent babies die, they go to hell? I don’t believe in a God who throws babies into eternal hellfire.”

There was an awkward silence. Then the Bible study leader said something about God working in mysterious ways and said they would be moving on.

My friend walked out. Today, he no longer considers himself a Christian.

He is far from the only young believer to leave the Christian faith after believers failed to address or even acknowledge their questions.
Read it all here.

1 comment:

Rev. Kurt Huber said...

“Doubt is not the opposite of faith,” writes Anglican theologian, Verna Dozier, “Fear is. Fear will not risk that even if I am wrong I will trust that if I move by the light that is given me, knowing that it is only finite and partial I will know more and different things tomorrow than I know today, and I can be open to the new possibility I cannot even imagine today.”