Sunday, October 17, 2010

Civility & our Response

"Civility costs nothing and buys everything."
- Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, 1689-1766
We are just a few weeks away from the November 2 elections and there is no better time for us to remember to be civil in our conversations and to encourage others to do the same. Take the civility pledge (civilityproject.org) or sign our board in the Narthex:
  • I will be civil in my public discourse and behavior.
  • I will be respectful of others whether or not I agree with them.
  • I will stand against incivility when I see it.
Why now? If we listen to the conversations going on, there is a lack of depth to them and discourse is more about the sound bite. Civility is a biblical imperative, because it is how we treat (love) one another. “We don’t need to give up our values, water them down, or throw out our convictions to have civil conversation. It is exactly these beliefs that allow us to engage in real dialogue.” (sojo.net)
"There can be no high civility without a deep morality."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson, 1862

No comments: