Strength through Unity -- L'Union fait la Force: A Service of Prayer for Haiti
Join the Washington National Cathedral for a service of music and prayer for the victims, families, and survivors of the January 12 earthquake in Haiti. The offering will benefit relief efforts in Haiti. The service will feature prayers from interfaith representatives and a Haitian folksong sung by countertenor Jean-Luc Princivil. More details will be forthcoming.
Participants and Guests
- The Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church, offering a sermon;
- Bishop of Washington John Bryson Chane, offering the invocation;
- Auxiliary Bishop of Washington Barry C. Knestout, representing the Most Rev. Donald W. Wuerl, archbishop of Washington;
- Cathedral Dean Samuel T. Lloyd III, offering the welcome; and
- The Cathedral Choir of Men and Girls
- Susan Rice, U.S. ambassador to the United Nations.
- His Excellency Raymond Joseph, Haitian ambassador to the U.S.
I lift my voice in prayer with all the people of the world.
Surround Haiti and her people
with your loving embrace
that they may be:
supported by the world in the work of rescue and recovery;
comforted as they grieve;
strengthened as they bury their dead;
healed as they tend their wounds;
restored in faith and the
hope of things unseen;
and transformed through newness of life in Christ.
Make me an instrument
of divine love, of mercy, of hope, and of new possibility.
Give me eyes to see,
ears to hear, the will to act, and a discerning and generous heart
that I may serve you and those who suffer in whatever way I am able.
In and through the power of the Holy Spirit, I pray. Amen.
The service will be webcast live here. CNN plans to feature live coverage.