Friday, February 21, 2020

Ephrem of Edessa, Deacon and Hymn-writer (His Lenten Prayer)


The (Lenten) Prayer of St Ephraim the Syrian (several translations):
 
O Lord and Master of my life, 
do not give me the spirit of Laziness, meddling, self-importance and idle talk. (prostration)
Instead, grace me, Your servant, with the spirit of modesty,
Humility, patience, and love. (prostration)

Indeed, my Lord and King, grant that I may see my own faults,
And not condemn my brothers and sisters, for You are blessed unto
ages of ages. Amen. (prostration)

(Twelve deep bows, saying each time: O God, be gracious to me, a sinner.)

[Translation by Fr James Silver, Drew University]

O Lord and Master of my life,
keep me from any spirit of idleness, meddling in the lives of others, a self-centered attitude,
and useless chatter.

Instead, grant to me, Your servant, a spirit of self-control, humble-mindedness,
patience and love.

Yes, O Lord and King,
grant me the grace to be aware of my own sins
and to not judge others for theirs.
For You are blessed unto the ages of ages. Amen.

[Translated Pastor John B. Hickman]

ORTHODOX VERSION FROM THE ORIGINAL GREEK:
 

O Lord and Master of my life,
give me not
the spirit of sloth, meddling,
lust for power and idle talk.
 

But grant unto me, Thy servant,
a spirit of chastity, humility,
patience and love.
 

Yea, O Lord and King,
grant me to see mine own faults
and not to judge my brother.
For blessed art Thou unto
the ages of ages. Amen.

Learn more about him here and here and here.

No comments: