Sunday, January 21, 2018

January 2018 #PrayFastAct for National Anti-Poverty Programs

As we head into 2018, public interest in anti-poverty programs is rising. Contributing factors include limited wage growth, limited access to training and educational opportunities, and automation and innovation that further limit opportunities. Yet some in Congress are seeing opportunities ahead to cut these programs under the auspices of “reform.”

Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security supplement retirement income and provide essential healthcare to the working poor and those unable to work. These programs along with SNAP, disability income, and unemployment insurance represent our nation’s commitment to seniors, the poor, hungry, disabled, jobless and sick.

The funding for these programs has largely been excluded from annual budget debates, as funds are designed to meet demand. In recent decades, budget cuts have been made to other public programs, including those that fund economic, community, workforce development, and general education. The result has been decreased investment in opportunities for Americans to gain the skills necessary to succeed in a 21st century economy, resulting in fewer paths to independence for those dependent on public assistance.

Reducing the national debt will require a reduction in the number of people dependent on safety net programs. Unfortunately, these programs are often misunderstood and overly simplistic explanations often result in calls to simply cut funding or restrict access.

To seriously address the issue of systemic poverty, reforms must focus on increasing opportunities for people to qualify for better jobs and wages so that they no longer depend on the safety net programs.

ON JANUARY 21, JOIN THE EPPN AND PRESIDING BISHOPS OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH AND THE ELCA AS WE PRAY, FAST and ACT.

Pray for those trapped in cyclical poverty and for our nation to heed Christ’s call to adequately care for those in need.

Consider Christ’s words from the Gospel of Matthew:

"Then the king will say to those on his right hand, 'You have my father's blessing; come, enter and possess the kingdom that has been made ready for you since the world was made. For when I was hungry, you gave me food; when thirsty, you gave me drink; when I was a stranger you took me into your home, when naked you clothed me; when I was ill you came to my help, when in prison you visited me.' Then the righteous will reply, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and fed you, or thirsty and gave you drink, a stranger and took you home, or naked and clothed you? When did we see you ill or in prison, and come to visit you?' And the king will answer, 'I tell you this: anything you did for one of my brothers [or sisters] here, however humble, you did for me.' Then he will say to those on his left hand, 'The curse is upon you; go from my sight into the eternal fire that is ready for the devil and his angels. For when I was hungry you gave me nothing to eat, when thirsty nothing to drink; when I was a stranger you gave me no home, when I was naked you did not clothe me; when I was ill and in prison you did not come to my help.' And they too will reply, 'Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or ill or in prison, and did nothing for you?' And he will answer, 'I tell you this: anything you did not do for one of these, however humble, you did not do for me.' " Matthew 25:34-45

Reflect on how we must obey Christ’s command to care and provide for those in need. If we truly love our neighbor as ourselves we will not only help them, we will empower them to be independent in the future. As part of the Jesus Movement, we must consider how we live this out daily in our personal life, parish community, and public policies.

Fast to remember the millions of Americans who, even with jobs and public assistance, are still unable to feed their families, and struggle to afford retirement or medical care.



Join us on social media using #PrayFastAct and @TheEPPN. On the 21st, post a picture of a dinner place setting with the reason you are fasting this month.

Act: Read this one-pager on the three most commonly discussed anti-poverty programs

We hope that the information in this resource will help clarify some misunderstandings and confusion around Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security.

(taken from http://advocacy.episcopalchurch.org/ForSuchaTimeasThis?2 )

No comments: