Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Song of Songs - Three Readings

From the sermon...

Song of Solomon 2:8-13
King James Version (KJV)

Voice 1

8 The voice of my beloved! behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.

9 My beloved is like a roe or a young hart: behold, he standeth behind our wall, he looketh forth at the windows, shewing himself through the lattice.

10 My beloved spake, and said unto me,

Voice 2

Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.

11 For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;

12 The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;

13 The fig tree putteth forth her green figs, and the vines with the tender grape give a good smell. Arise, my love, my fair one, and come away.

Song of Solomon 2:8-13
Common English Bible (CEB)

Voice 1

8 Listen! It’s my lover: here he comes now, leaping upon the mountains,
bounding over the hills.

9 My lover is like a gazelle
or a young stag.
Here he stands now,
outside our wall,
peering through the windows,
peeking through the lattices.

10 My lover spoke and said to me,

Voice 2

“Rise up, my dearest,
my fairest, and go.

11 Here, the winter is past;
the rains have come and gone.

12 Blossoms have appeared in the land;
the season of singing has arrived,
and the sound of the turtledove is heard in our land.

13 The green fruit is on the fig tree,
and the grapevines in bloom are fragrant.
Rise up, my dearest,
my fairest, and go.

Poem 9 (Song of Songs 2:8-13)
Marcia Falk

Voice 1

The sound of my lover
coming from the hills
quickly, like a deer
upon the mountains

Now at my windows,
walking by the walls,
here at the lattices
he calls—

Voice 2

Come with me,
my love,
come away

For the long wet months are past,
the rains have fed the earth
and left it bright with blossoms

Birds wing in the low sky,
dove and songbird singing
in the open air above

Earth nourishing tree and vine,
green fig and tender grape,
green and tender fragrance

Come with me,
my love,
come away

No comments: