Thursday, June 11, 2009

What am I reading?

Here's what your Rector has been reading...

God's Three Step Plan by David Lee Kirkland

I found God's Three Step Plan a wonderful read. I have always liked Micah 6:8 even had it as a bumper sticker on my car. I have read a number of books that have tried to draw out the meaning from Micah and I have always found them wanting. This book wonderfully draws out the meaning to each part of God's message to us in Micah (act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God). I loved how lots of different voices, many from outside the Christian tradition, helped illuminate God's three step plan. It is a very Christian book but refreshingly aware of the voices outside of our religious tradition who can help us see what Micah's words are saying to us. I especially liked how the Jewish voice was raised up since its part of the Hebrew Scriptures. I recommend this book!


Columbine by Dave Cullen

Is a good book and helped dispel myths I had believed about the Columbine tragedy. I continue to read about how good people do evil things, how two teens lost the ability to see the humanity in others. A very tragic event. And its aftermath is still with us...


I am reading now...

Inheriting the Trade: A Northern Family Confronts Its Legacy as the Largest Slave-Trading Dynasty in U.S. History

More on this book later...

No comments: